This was an interesting find by one of my colleagues, and verified by myself to be a real issue.
All of a sudden, one of our custom entities within our development environment started to throw errors when trying to edit business rules.
We got to the point where we were seriously considering resetting the environment using a backup, when it was discovered that the only thing we could think that had changed was that the entity had been enabled for Entity Images as a test. Sure enough, deleting the field that was created for the entity image was enough to bring the business rules back.
So, let that be a lesson, if you enable entity images on a custom entity, you may just lose access to your business rules.
I am not sure if Microsoft is aware of the issue, or are planning on fixing it, but its something to watch out for.
I have recently updated my Visual Studio Template for holding Microsoft Dynamics Assets. Its available on the Marketplace by searching for Hallstudios, or you can download it using the button below.
The solution also includes Intellisense for the Xrm Client API within the TypeScript files.
The Solution Unpacker tool has been updated with the latest version so it now supports packing and unpacking Dynamics Solutions that contain Flow’s.
Just recently updated the CRM utilities extension with the following fixes :
Supports SVG files correctly. Although publishing files to an SVG Web Resource was working, if a file in Visual Studio had the SVG extension, when right clicking it, it would not offer the option to Link or Publish.
When extracting a solution from Dynamics, if the Web Resource naming convention does not have a file extension, then the Publish and Linking features would not work properly. Now, if it detects that the file has a corresponding “filename.data.xml” file (which it will if its been exported and unpacked from Dynamics), then it will offer the Publish and Linking options.
An Entity Filter has been added to the Class Generation options allowing a list of entity logical names (separated by a semi-colon) to be entered. When creating a class file, any entities that are found in this list are not added to the file. This is very useful when you have a similar named custom entity that always clashes with a system entity. For example, if you have your own address entity, you can exclude the system address entity.
As usual, you can get the update from the Marketplace, or by downloading here :
I recently wanted to try out Visual Studio 2019 with the SSIS Package designer (and to also try out the KingswaySoft extensions for dealing with Dynamics 365 data integration/migrations. Getting it all to work turned out to be a little bit of a challenge, so here I am documenting the issues I encountered, and what I did to fix it.
The other day, I was investigating some solution import issues, and I need to see who was guilty of importing a solution into an environment that it should never have been imported into.
I fired up the old XrmToolbox, to use the Plugin called Solution History which I always found a nice handy little tool for getting at the history of when and who imported solutions.
It was at that point that I realised that CRM now supports a Solution History view within the user interface. I have no idea when this appeared, but it seems to be sometime this year.
Since then, I have found this invaluable for investigation solution issues, and also for updating environments where you need to follow the exact pattern of solution imports that were done within a test environment.
To use it, simply get to your Settings area of Dynamics, and choose Solution History from within the Customization section.
This will then give you a nice list of the solutions that were imported, exported, succeeded and failed.
I setup a trial of a V9 instance of Microsoft Dynamics 365 for some testing, and I found that the Adxstudio 7 solutions would not import. The installer goes in, but installing the base portals solution fails.
To get round this, I converted the instance to a sandbox, reset it to V8.2, installed the solutions, and I intend to upgrade it to V9, although I will have to wait a week for the scheduled update to work.
So there you have it. You cannot set up a new V9 instance to run old portal code on.
Recently I had an issue where all of a sudden, a solution would not export from the development environment, even though it was previously fine, and as far as I knew, it had not changed. Dynamics would throw a very unhelpful error, with no details of what went wrong.
I tried creating a new solution, and adding the exact same components and that one also failed, so I knew it was not the solution itself, but its contents.
After a bit of trial and error, I discovered that it was the SLA’s that were causing the issue. Turns out that it was because one of the SLA’s had not been activated. Never thought it needed to be, but in this case, it was causing an issue.
So, if it ever happens to you, make that one of the first things you check, it might save you some time.
This was a version 8.2 on premise install, but I didn’t have access to the actual server.